Thursday, July 07, 2005

I remember when "minding the gap" was the biggest concern ...

Just a quick post to express my sadness and anger over today's incidents in London.

For those who don't know, I lived in London for a semester of study abroad two years ago during my junior year of college. It was an amazing, amazing experience and I really came to know and love the city (even if the food was mostly pretty bad ...). But the city is so full of color and history and interesting accents and fantastic stories. What happened today is just a real, real tragedy. It's absoultely crazy - I stopped at the King's Cross tube stop on the London Underground multiple times, mostly in the course of running errands for Twenty Twenty Television during my internship. One of today's bombs went off right in between King's Cross and Russell Square, which was the route I took during my many trips for Twenty Twenty to do research for them at the University of London, which is just off the Russell Square stop on the tube. Russell Square was maybe my favorite spot in all of London - there is a huge park there with a giant fountain and plenty of benches to sit on, and a snack shop across from the University that was perfect for taking a leisurely lunch break at. And that route that I took so often was bombed ...

I just hope that everyone I know who's in London is safe and okay. To my friend Mimi from BU who is studying there now, to the Goodman family who lives in Edgeware on the border of London, to everyone at Twenty Twenty - hope you're okay and safe and doing well.

And to our government: come on guys, even if this doesn't turn out to be an Al Queda attack, it definitely underscores the need to find and capture Bin Laden - not soon, but NOW. This should be, and should have always been, priority number one.

And to those responsible and any who support them: So, let's see - this will accomplish ... what? Nice job, you guys are real martyrs, real heroes. Take one for the team. (note to government spies who may or may not be monitoring my blog - this is sarcasm). Seriously, screw these people who think it's cool to blow up subways. If your leaders spent money on public services rather than funding terrorism, maybe you'd have public transportation of your own other than the odd camel or two.

Alright - more later on NBC, interviewing for assignments, etc.

For now, cheers mate.

No comments: