Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Did I Do That ...?

Well I don't really like reality TV, but I am sitting here watching and laughing at the WB's Beauty and the Geek on the recommendation of my friend Mike Zoosman. Well, not a recommendation exactly. It's just that Mike, my former Camp Shalom co-counsellor, informed me that one of the show's finalists, Richard Ruben, is in fact a friend and classmate of his from his days as an undergrad at Brandeis. So last week I watched the show for the first time -- hilarious! Not that it's a great show or anything, but it's just so funny - Ruben is obviously playing it up for the cameras, as Mike confirmed, but that's no surprise as he is an accomplished actor. But the funniest thing is that Ruben, even with his over-the-top, played for laughs twist on the Woody Allen neurotic Jewish guy persona, is SO freakin' real it's not even funny. I mean most of the country is probably looking at this guy like he's the biggest freak ever, which is sad because hey - this is US. Go to any college Hillel, any Jewish day school, any JCC, and you'll see THAT GUY everywhere. I can think of like 7 or 8 guys from the BU hillel alone, off the top of my head, that were just as geeky if not more so than Ruben's TV persona. Now don't go around calling me a self-hating Jew or anything - I love it! Look at this guy, he's hilarious, crazy, but basically just a nice guy ... and yet look at him compared to Chuck, the other finalist on the show. Chuck just is not in on the joke. But anyways, it's nice to see this key segment of the population - the lovable yet ultra nerdy, annoyingly neurotic yet bitingly humorous, Jewish young adult uber geek, represented on TV. And the man can play the piano to boot. And what do you know, the women on the show, the "beauties," are actually three dimensional people, who make the Real World girls look even more paper thin and trashy than they usually do in comparison. And hey, it's a pretty decent reality show with realistic, well-rounded cast members and some pretty cool (if oversimplified for TV) social lessons. Not bad, not bad.

So ...

What's been going on ...

AT WORK:

Well, tommorow is the big day - an interview for one more assignment - the Producer's Second Assistant assignment over at Universal Studios. Now apparently the previous holder of this assignment is a PA over at Arrested Development. Sounds good, sign me up. So I'm really hoping this goes well. After my last few assignment interview experiences, I really don't know what to expect anymore. But this is it - it's on like donkey kong.

Otherwise, just been chilling this week as ticket office head at NBC. Not missing too much cool stuff on the Tonight Show, though I wouldn't have minded being there for tommorow's show, featuring Jessica Alba and Magic Johnson. Oh well.

ALSO:

A belated Happy 4th of July to everyone.

AND:

That's about all I got for now. Except ... come on, people I've got over 3000 hits as of this week and yet few comments - leave me a comment, even if it's to say you think I suck!

No comments: