Wednesday, June 01, 2005

"We Snack on Danger, Dine on Death ..."

Dammit.

I didn't get the studios development assignment. So yeah, that kinda sucks. If I wrote this entry a few hours ago, I would have really had to restrain myself from going on a long, bitter rant. But time has passed and I can clearly see the stupidity in airing my own personal business-related complaints in a public forum, so I will not say much more here.

Suffice to say, the entertainment industry sure is a crazy place to try to make it in. It's just so random, so discouraging in so many ways. I guess other industries are not all that different, but in this business you not only have to really want it, you have to really want it after subjecting yourself to the inevitable torrent of rejections that will try to block your path to success. Yeah, I do believe without much hesitation that I was easily the most qualified and passionate person that applied for the development assignment. But that only gets you so far. Unless you know the right people, I guess the most important quality is just perseverence. So don't worry, they haven't heard the last of me yet.

Been feeling kinda sick since Monday. Finally feeling a little better tonight, but still suffering. Luckily tommorow is a much-needed DAY OFF, so hopefully I'll finally be able to overcome this cold that's been draggin' me down.

Yeah, it's hard enough going to work when you're not at 100 percent. But in the page program it's never easy to just check in and clock your hours. Nope, you've always gotta be on your toes, ready to deal with all the absurdities and melodrama that occurs on a daily basis. As much as it's nice in a way to be around so many people in my own age group each day, at this point I am really anticipating being in a real, professional environment where I can just concentrate on my job and be surrounded by adults who are mature enough to leave their personal issues at home.

I think that what I really have to do now is just concentrate on getting some writing done. Not sure what spec scripts I want to do yet, but I'm thinking of Family Guy, The Office, and maybe a drama as well. I have no idea how I'm going to find the time to do all this, but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Also, after having talked about it with a few coworkers recently, I am starting to mentally revisit an idea I came up with a few years back called Monsterville, which I think could be really funny if I could pull it off. I can say no more at the moment.

and now, the return of ...

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

- I hate when people ask "What do you do on weekends?" This to me is the dumbest question that people use to size you up in some weird way, but what the hell does anyone "do" on weekends? Do most people do the same thing every weekend? I guess if I took an aerobics class or something I could be like "well, I do an aerobics class. Every weekend." But yeah, I don't know what I do on weekends. It's like in The Big Lebowski when that weird German dude turns to The Dude and is like "what do you do?" and The Dude is just like "what do I ...? What do YOU do?"

- I also hate when people talk about plans that don't include you right in front of you. I mean this is so third grade.

- Today I saw Ellen in the parking lot talking with Portia de Rosa as I was hurrying from my car to the guest relations office for work. Pretty surreal, but I didn't have time to stop and stare, cuz, like I said, I was in a hurry.

- Great game tonight between San Antonio and Phoenix. Amare Stoudemire had some amazing plays, but it wasn't enough. I am now rooting for Miami in the east even more so than I was before, because a.) I don't like San Antonio or Detroit, and wouldn't mind seeing Miami whup the Spurs in the Finals and b.) Spurs vs. Pistons would be a pretty boring NBA Finals.

- I must commend myself on a damn good tour today. It started out slow, but I got into it at the end and despite feeling pretty crappy, I put a lot into it and ended by receiving an ovation from the audience.

- You know how some people on your IM buddy list always, like, every night, have some sepctacular away message saying how they are out partying or spending the week in Hawaii or whatever. For once I'd like to see one of those people have an away message that just says, like, "doing a buttload of laundry" or "doing the TV Guide crossword puzzle." I mean, who are these people?

Speaking of which, what is with so many people having totally weak away messages lately? Was having cool ones just a college fad or something? I mean, come on, it takes a few seconds to type up something other than "I am away from my computer." Lame. Show some creativity!

- Someone asked me today, seriously, "Have you EVER done anything interesting?" in a kind of half-joking, half-obnoxious way, stemming from a conversation we were having about how my hometown of Bloomfield, CT was, clearly, pretty boring compared to LA. But I was so taken aback with this question that I actually started to answer it seriously, trying to remember and then convey each semi-exciting thing I've yet done. In the future, if someone asks me this, I will just say "What have YOU ever done?" If that person happens to be, say, Mark Felt, then I would look like a complete idiot. For most people though, I'd have a pretty good point.

No comments: