Thursday, June 23, 2005

"I think they named the orange before they named the carrot ..."

Some quick thoughts:

Wow, a pretty exciting, if low-scoring, Game 7 of the NBA Finals, and congrats to San Antonio, even though I still don't like them.

I have never liked San Antonio since the David Robinson days. Tim Duncan carries on their tradition of players who are supremely talented yet come off as mechanical pod people with few actual human emotions and little to no passion for the game, except when it comes to arguing every call the referees make. Also, as I've stated many times, I Robert Horry is a perrenial NBA villain in my eyes. He was instrumental in: elevating the Rockets past the Suns in the 90's, when I wanted more than anything for the Suns to win the title; helping the Lakers defeat the Rockets and Pacers in the late 90's and early 00's, further denying Sir Charles and Reggie Miller championship gold and accumulating more rings for himself by gliding from one talented team to another; and now coasting to even more glory on the heels of Tim duncan and the Spurs. All the while Horry has been praised as the second coming by the likes of Bill Walton for years, and displayed annoying antics like when he threw a towel in Danny Ainge's face during his brief stint with the Suns.

But hey, again, congrats to the Spurs. Duncan showed why he is still, easily, the best player in basketball despite being one of the game's least flashy all-stars. Ginobli stepped up big this year, and Parker was solid as always.

This also marks the end of a very memorable NBA season that saw the retirement of Karl Malone and Reggie Miller, the shift of Shaq to Miami, and the emergence of Steve Nash as an MVP. Can't wait for next season to begin.

OTHER STUFF:

The title of this entry is taken from a very funny, wryly brilliant comedian named Demitri Martin, who I was lucky to work with a bit while interning at Conan O'Brien. Demitri was a writer on the show then and has now moved on to pursue his stand-up career. This guy is just so unique in his humor, and the weird thing about him is that he's hilarious, and yet there's something oddly deep and thought-provoking about his jokes and observations. Unlike most comedians who put on a total act for the crowd, Demitri's humor is really raw and almost emotional in a way, call it emo-humor if you will, but on second thought that would be a pretty lame categorization. Anyways the reason I bring this up is because last night I was completely randomly flipping the channels on TV and - hot damn - there's Demitri Martin on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, doing a hilarious musical-comedy performance that's like Steven Wright mixed with Weezer's Perry Cuomo mixed with Dick Van Dyke's character from Mary Poppins ... or something. But suffice to say it's seriously funny stuff and unlike anything else out there. If any other former Conan interns are reading this you guys should try to check out the footage.

What else?

- I'm on a huge Daft Punk kick lately. Don't know why, probably from that damn Ipod commercial.

- Speaking of which, how the hell do so many people afford Ipods? Like everyone has them, and I don't really get it. I mean sure they're cool and if I had a ton of extra cash lying around I'd get one, but it's not the first thing I'd think to spend three hundred bucks on. It's funny I thought the whole point of downloading music in the first place was because people were so sick of spending so much cash on CD's and stuff.

- Must .... get ... assignment ... at Page Program ...

- After re-watching them on DVD the other day, I think the first three episodes of The X-Files are the greatest first three episodes of any show ever.

- Awesome article in the latest Newsweek about dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are cool.

Time to make my exit, cuz that's how I roll.

No comments: