Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar Results and Other Assorted Randomness

Okay, just a quick post here to see how I did in my Oscar picks ...

Turns out I was ...

13 for 17 -- not too bad if I do say so myself. The only major categories I was wrong in were Best Picture (along eith everyone else), as Crash had the big upset, and best Supporting Actor, as Clooney took it rather than my predicted winner, Matt Dillon, or my pick for best, William Hurt. Like I said, Clooney was pretty good in Syriana, but was basically playing an everyman role that was fairly two-dimensional, so I don't quite get the acclaim for the role. As for Crash, still need to see it to judge for myself, but hey, it's great for NBC, as writer/director Paul Haggis' next project is Black Donnelly's, a gangster TV drama coming soon to the Peacock.

RANDOM STUFF:

- Funny Malcolm in te Middle tonight

- taped SNL - it had a few decent sketches (my faves were the Jamba Juice sketch and the always amusing Wake Up Wakefield), the digital short was ok but no Lazy Sunday, and Fallout Boy was pretty sweet. But as usual many of the sketches went on with the same joke for waaaaaaaay too long, and also as usual the old satirical edge is just lacking in many areas (the opening political sketch was awful). There are bright spots, but SNL has a long way to go to climb out of its current rut.

- mention Aquaman in my blog and suddenly the hits skyrocket! So ... Aquaman! Actually, here's a little tidbit for you fanboys out there - I am the lucky owner of a copy of the Aquaman tv pilot for WB. Actually haven't read it yet but I am definitely curious to see how Smallville creators Gough and Miller tackled this whale of a project. Bwahahaha.

- Damn, my cellphone sucks. Today it totally went crazy on me and kept asking for my credit card info whenever I tried to make a call. Finally got it to work again, but sorry if you called and I never got your message. I'm holding out a few weeks on getting a new one though since I will then be eligible for a free new phone from Verizon.

- Oh man, I saw NIGHTWATCH this weekend. Yep, the imported Russian vampire movie that is touted as part one of a three-part epic! Holy lord, whoever made this movie was on serious crack, and I would almost consider taking up hardcore drugs in preparation for parts 2 and 3. Because wow, this was the most messed up, ridiculous movie I've seen in a long while. Just totally out there, incomprehensible, and completely baffling. Entertainment Weekly gave this an F, and I think that I give it a G - basically it inhabits that crazy space where it is so awful, that, in it's own way, this movie is actually amazing. I'll have to talk more about it later, but if you want to see the trippiest, weirdest movie (when's the last time you saw a movie subtitled from RUSSIAN?!?!) about somehting having to do with vampires, shapeshifters, a vortex, "The Gloom,", and a lead villain who rips out his own spine and uses it as a sword~!, then run down to the theater and watch Nightwatch -- a movie that only a total freak could legitimately love, but one that everyone else will view with a mix of amazement, frustration, and multiple exclamations of "What. The. Hell?" So yeah, bring on chapters two and three.

- Another week of work. Already. Sonova. But, at least I have something awesome to look forward to this upcoming weekend -- PIRATE ADVENTURE, BABY.

- Well, while I'm preoccupied with thoughts of swashbuckling buccaneers, wily wenches, and hearty hook-handed Captains with parrots, eye-patches, and constant calls of "ARRRGH!", I shall end this entry and retreat to dreams of pirates, black frieghters, treasure-filled islands, and simpler, adventure-filled days.

Until next time ...

No comments: