Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Won't You Take Me To ... Funkytown?

Damn - I just wrote a huge post and deleted it accidentally. So now I'm going to write an encapsulated form of it since it's getting late. Funky.

Basically:

My apartment: I'm out of the old, into the new. I still need a couch, bar stools for the kitchen, plates/silverware, and a few other assorted items. But I'm pretty much moved in and settled, and it's starting to shape up. My parking space is still too narrow and my smoke alarm goes off loudly whenever I take a shower ... but otherwise, well, it's going well and I can concentrate on other stuff finally, like ...

My job: Friday sucked. I did ticketbox for the first time and it was an insanely busy day and I had people coming at me from all sides wanting to buy merchandise and sign up for tours and get Tonight Show tix and did I mention it sucked and also I was reprimanded by my supervisor a bunch of times and and I don't like operating cash registers. By noon Friday I was ready to explode from overload. Got a little better in the afternoon but man, too much stress and I was thrown to the wolves after a mere 2 count 'em 2 hours of training the DAY BEFORE. And again I had NEVER before used a cash register. I'll stick to giving tours to German people who barely speack English please (happened today). Ellen today was heaven by comparison. One observation: never have I seen so many lesbians in one place as in today's Ellen audience. Maybe partly due to musical gust being Tori Amos? New pages already coming in next week - and we have to train 'em. God I barely know what I'm doing at this point. And by we I mean those of us newbies who are left. Friday was fond farewell to Tracy, who's going to work at FOX ... on some little movies called FANTASTIC FOUR and X-MEN 3!!! (N. Dynamite voice on:) "Lucky!" (off). Plus two others may soon be headed for assignments. Ahhhh. Craziness. Luckily no ticket box this week. Dennis Miller tommorow. Wow that sounded like a James Joyce paragraph, um, kinda.

By the way, congrats to fellow BU grad and ace reporter Christine T on her engagement (!) .

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Two movies I'm getting super-hyped for:
1.) Sin City -- Those commercials on TV have been ruling it, this movie is going to totally kick some ass. Frank Miller credited as director ... nice! If you don't know Miller redefined comics in the 80's, ushered in an age of adult, pull-no-punches graphic novels / comics like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City, Ronin, and Daredevil: Man Without Fear. And the Sin City movie is nearly a shot for shot adaptation of the comic. This is gonna be good, kids.

2.) Star Wars Ep. III -- That trailer after the OC was great! I'm hyped ... I mean you have to be after seeing the Emperor in full original trilogy, lightning-shooting mode, with that evil, evil voice of his saying evil stuff like only he can. Wookies! Jedis vs. the Emperor! Yoda hurt, Obi Wan vs. Anakin, lots of spaceships flying around. Sweeeet. Sure, I and II were huge letdowns, but for this one, well, it may just surprise us all and, dare I say it (yes, yes I do) kick some ass old-school style.

24 -- This week it's Escape from LA 24 style. John Carpenter and Snake Plisken would have been proud of this action-oriented ep. The Tony-Michelle plot, pretty much the only plot in this ep, was very nice, and the action scenews had that apocalyptic, balls to the wall vibe that the producers do so well on this show and perfected in their earlier, awesome but underrated action espionage drama, the late great La Femme Nikita. Few TV shows have ever had movie-quality action scenes, but 24 is up there with the best big screen films in that area. Decent, kind of standalone episode here with things looking to take a major turn next week. Maybe an appearance from former President Palmer is in the books? Because it looks like the current prez on 24 is due for some bigtime trouble.

OC - Ehhhhh ... getting lamer, losing interest ... Come on, Kirsten would NOT cheat on Sandy with that guy, if that's where they are headed. And Ryan and Marissa again? No thanks. Why is this show seemingly back to square one after only one and a half seasons? Aside from Alex they've gotten rid of every other character. Time for the seemingly monthly re-stocking of new characters to shake things up ... but son't worry they'll die, move to Chicago, or disappear into Parts Unknown soon enough.

FOX Sunday: King of the Hill, Malcolm, Simpsons, all decent, with the Simpsons actually being slightly above average while KOTH and MITM were slightly below par. Arrested Development -- GREAT ep, definitely the night's highlight. Please FOX, don't cancel this, especially for crap like ... The Sketch Show -- total crap show with a ridiculously fast-paced style that does not work in the show's favor ... makes one long for FOX's sketch comedy glory days of the 90's when In Living Color was hilarious and groundbreaking and starmaking. Seriously, FOX, keep Arrested D around.

Well, Phase 2 has begun.

Time to focus on the job, contacts, writing, and other stuff besides apartment hunting and furnishing.

Now if I could just manage to AVOID having my smoke alarm pierce my eardrums each morning when I get out of the shower. So annoying.

1 comment:

Christine M. Williams said...

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the shout-out. I appreciate it.

Isn't it funny that the smoke alarm goes off when you use the shower? I swear all houses/apartments have some kind of strange/annoying quirk.