Thursday, March 24, 2005

Show Me The Mony Mony

Billy Idol performed on the Tonight Show today! I was all upset that I wasn't going to be working the show today, but while I was doing tape and hold before the show (blocking off reserved seating), I witnessed Mr. Idol's dress rehearsal, and it rocked! Sure, it was a new song from his first album in 12 years, but Billy hasn't lost a beat. He was rocking the cradle of love and dancing with his own bad self like it was 1986, and his new song was a nice mix of old-school with a touch of the new. He had the ornate leather jacket, the spiky hair, and the fist was a-pumping like old times. Now that's what I'm talking about.

I have to say though, what is wrong with people? I mean you'd think being at a place like NBC I'd be surrounded by people in tune with cool. I'm not talking Abercrombie and Fitch cool, I mean geek-cool, like Ain't It Cool, like oh damn, Billy Idol is performing on the Tonight Show and oh hells yes this is gonna rock kinda cool. But no. Few others shared my excitement about an 80's rock icon performing at the show, yet all the buzz was about Nick and Jessica being on tommorow. Who freakin' cares about those no-talent posers? Dammit, I'm working in TV. When I make a reference to The State, any classic-era Simpsons episode, old-school SNL sketches, or The original, British version of The Office, I damn well expect people to know what I'm talking about. Oh wait, this is the network that now programs reality shows, crappy sitcoms, and about 537 variations of Law and Order. No wonder everybody here is so tuned out to the good stuff. Oh well, ska-rew that.

Things have been a bit rough at work lately. My schedule's been crazy this week and it's been way too busy, with tons of spring-breakers and just general pandemonium around NBC. As is probably the most sensible route to take with these blogs, I won't go into any detail about specific trouble spots at work, I will simply take the high road. But ... anyways, the good part of this week is that the new page class started this week, and they all seem very nice from what I've seen so far. Plus they are super excited to be starting at NBC, which is kinda cool so as to give us grizzled vets (or nearly-grizzled) some renewed energy and enthusiasm via osmosis.

Things have kind of stalled on the furnishing my apartment front. I will soon have dinnerware / silverware etc., but still need to get going on the couch / seating purchases. But overall it's starting to feel more and more like home, probably because all my random crap is starting to really accumulate.

On Tuesday, Frodo himself, Elijah Wood, was on Ellen. So I've now seen both Frodo Baggins and Sam Gamgee in person thanks to Ellen. Cool, huh? That Ellen was crazy though. There was a huge thunderstorm during the taping and Elijah got there a good hour later than he was supposed to. Also this one guy was maybe the funniest dancer I've ever seen. This flamboyant guy was just going nuts at the show and bumping and grinding with the middle aged women sitting next to him. Hilarious. Other celebs I've seen this week -- on Ellen: Lisa Marie Presley performing (with a surprisingly catchy country song), Florence Henderson (aka Mrs. Brady). On Leno: Kevin Bacon (I'm now separated from him by a mere one degree!), Kim Raver (aka Jack Bauer's girlfriend) of 24 (24!), Queen Latifah, Omarion and B2K (totally sucked), Tom Green (watched him rehearse for one of his usual segments on Leno), and the World's Oldest Sky Diver (that guy ruled ...).

Once again it's almost the weekend. Rock on.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Quick Reviews:

24: Good episode, in which we saw Beeeeeehrooooooooz left as an orphan. Surprised that thed's kill off Shoreh whatsername so soon, as she was such a hyped up / controversial character, who despite what was promised, never really repented or grew out of her manipulative ways. Interesting. Nice to see Chloe back - finally the actress who plays her is back where she belongs, she has really grown into the role and I would hate to see her talents wasted on that godawful The Sketch Show on FOX.

Brilliant Arrested Develpment on Sunday. Why, why must this show be on the brink of cancellation?

Malcolm in the Middle is perhaps the most underrated and unappreciated show on TV. Another great episode Sunday.

OC: Once again ... eh, okay episode. Ryan's brother coming back is a nice new dynamic, but they've established such a pattern of characters coming and going it's hard to get invested in any new cast additions.

Comics: Wow, Grant Morrison is having quite the year. In the last few days I have just read four recently released comics by the mad Scottish genious, and they all blew my mind. How can one man have so many insanely creative ideas? I urge anyone with a taste for the slightly weird to try out Vinamarama - a three issue mini series of which issue 2 was just released, about an Arab teen in England who unwittingly unleashes a magical army bent on destruction just as he is introduced to his prearranged bride to be. Really crazy but great stuff. Then there is Seven Soldiers, a truly epic multipart series that consists of two bookends and seven miniseries that comprise one yearlong, gigantic adventure. And Grant Morrison is writing it all. Wow. Well, Seven Soldiers #0, the first bookend, blew me away. This series, dark and complex, about a group of seven unique individuals unaware that they are connected and fighting the same powerful enemy, features both absolutely beatiful artwork thanks to JH Williams and also great characterization and a huge, unexpected twist ending that left me with my jaw hanging. The first of the miniseries to be released, Shining Knight and Guardian (one a postmodern Arthurian adventure, the other a Jack Kirby tribute with a new-age twist), were equally impressive despite being totally different in styles. Check 'em out, and realize the wonderful madness that is the mind of Grant Morrison.

CLOSING THOUGHT:

Working at Ellen, I think I could write a whole thesis on why women like her so much. It really is a fascinating slice of sociology at work when you step back and think about why all these teacher-types and buttoned-up middle aged moms are coming out of the woodwork to see a show where they are encouraged to dance to early 90's techno-pop beats. Maybe someday soon I'll go into a little more detail. Think about it though.



"It's a nice day to ... start again."

1 comment:

Christine M. Williams said...

"Oh wait, this is the network that now programs reality shows, crappy sitcoms, and about 537 variations of Law and Order."

Haha! It's so true, all 537 are the same show!