Friday, June 15, 2007

Lightning Round Updates: SPURS, etc.

1.) Congrats to the Spurs ... I guess. They were barely challenged by the Cavs, and I think that their true Finals was the series agains the Suns. But the Spurs showed why they are, simply, a machine, even more so now that Tony Parker is playing at such a high level. The Cavs on the other hand, played with zero chemistry, struggling to move without the ball and involve anyone not named Lebron in the offense - and even Lebron was off the entire Finals, taking ill-advised shots, shooting at a poor percentage, and not playing smartly so that he took over the game at key moments. It didn't help that Ilguaskas and co seemed to all but disappear. Meanwhile, all the talk now is about the Spurs' legacy as a legit dynasty. I don't understand why there's so much arguing about mere semantics - the Spurs are clearly THE dominant team of the last ten years. Whether or not they could beat the 90's Bulls or the 80's Celtics I have no idea, but I don't think it's out of the question - while those teams were much deeper than the Spurs, the average player in general is much more athletic nowadays and Tim Duncan alone I think ranks up there with nearly any big man in NBA history in terms of sheer skill.

Anyways, I'm happy for Michael Finlay who I've always liked. As for the perenially unlikable Duncan, Parker, coach Greg Popovich, and ESPECIALLY friggin' Robert Horry ... those guys are undoubtedly winners and champions, and I respect it, but I dont have to like it.

2.) Avril Lavigne is here at NBC right now. However due to my needing to jet early from work for VEGAS, I may or may not be able to catch her Leno outdoor concert. Just FYI.

3.) VEGAS! And no, you will most likely NOT get a full report here on the blog, but I'll see what I can do ...

No comments: