Thursday, September 07, 2006

DANNY BARAM Joined the Group PEOPLE WHO UNAPOLOGETICALLY ENJOY THE MUSIC OF 80'S HAIR-METAL GROUP SKID ROW

Just a few random thoughts to help you get through the day ...

- So, Facebook is all crazy now. And the legions of disturbed Facebook users have responded by ... FORMING ANTI-FACEBOOK FACEBOOK GROUPS. Interesting, and tad bit ironic, wouldn't you say? I am simulateously annoyed, disturbed, and slightly intrigued by the the new site, which now tells you on its main screen every Facebook-related activity that all of your Facebook friends did. And I mean everything. As in:

Guy You Met Once In College is now friends with Girl You Don't Know.

That One Girl You Know is now single.

Guy You Haven't Talked to Since High School has joined the I Love Hanson group.

And so on ...

So yeah, kind of ridiculous, though, in the short term, I admit, kind of entertaining. With everyone being able to see your every move on Facebook now though, I guess I had better hold off on joining the She-Ra Is My One True Hero group, at least for now. But I hope that they get rid of this stupid new "feed" feature eventually, as it is really pretty creepy even if it doesn't present any info that wasn't already public. It will be interesting to see how the website responds to such a groundswell of criticism though. And what the hell am I doing on Facebook anyway? I graduated two years ago! Well kids, just remember, old man Danny was there when Facebook FIRST STARTED, back when only schools in the Northeast were even included! And I had to walk five miles every day in the snow to get to class! And candy only cost a nickel!

Damn kids and their social networking whatzimabobs.

- Speaking of getting-old rants of doom, remember when MTV played videos? Sorry, I know, I've gone off about this subject approximately 5 billion times by this point, but I forgot to mention previously how badly the most recent MTV awards sucked. The few rockbands that even got awards, with the exception of AFI, totally blow! Panic at the Disco (exclamation point withheld)?!?! Sorry kids, last I checked they don't rock and/or roll. And how unintentionally hilarious was the whole Video Vanguard award for HYPE WILLIAMS? First of all, the man's name is Hype. That should tell you something right there. Second of all, hearing Kanye West introduce Hype was ridiculous, comparing a guy who makes rap videos that are basically rip-offs of B action movies to Picasso and Warhol? Crediting among his great achievements the use of pyrotechnics and widescreen? Are you freakin' kidding me? My friends and I have been joking about this for the last few weeks ...

"Pyro in music videos? That was HYPE!"
"Widescreen? HYPE."
"Bling? HYPE."
"Crazy explosions? Hot dancers? That text thingie in the corner that tells you the name of the song? All HYPE."

So yeah, MTV is a joke, and even Jack Black, who gave an embarrasingly terrible effort as host of the show, could do little to help yet another indicator that MTV has hit rock bottom.

- But, speaking of music videos, I suddenly get this new channel called The Tube which is actually kind of awesome. Anyone else get this? It seems to just play a constant stream of random videos, concert footage, and other performances new and old. In one span I saw Tom Petty, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, No Doubt, Blondie, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Johnny Cash, INXS, and Gnarls Barkley. Not bad at all - kind of the Jack FM of music television.

- Here's a little piece of brilliant observational humor: why is the adjective "Jewish" always preceded with "nice?" I want a nice Jewish girl. I am going to a nice Jewish wedding (Liz). I want a nice Jewish home. The constant association with Jewish and nice is, well, nice and all, but where are the girls looking for a gruff, take-charge Jewish boy? Why can't it be a badass Jewish wedding? It's time us Jews were allowed to be more than just nice! Right, Bill Goldberg?

Just kidding, kidding, don't write letters. Nice isn't so bad.

- Yesterday I was very proud of my usage of time once I got home from work. Despite not getting home until almost 7:30, I managed to fit in a number of activities. Let's examine:

7:15: picked up drycleaning from Flair's

7:30 - 8: ate dinner while watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.

8 - 8:30: researched flights to CT online for the High Holidays, decided upon schedule.

8:30 - 9: Jogged outside with the I-pod.

915 - 10: worked on my Office spec script, on which I made a major creative breakthrough.

10 - 11: made excellent progress in God of War and kicked large amounts of virtual ass.

11 - 11:30: answered various emails online

11:30 - 12: did some reading

12 am - went to sleep

I know, exciting right? But my point is yesterday was a rare day when I accomplished numerous things that I wanted to, and also had time for other fun activities. With this in mind, that will prrobably be the last such day I have in a while, due to a combination of factors including general laziness, the start of the new Fall TV season, and miscellaneous. Tragic, isn't it?

- What else?

- The Protector comes out this weekend ... Tony Jaa sounds like he is pretty kickass from what I've heard. Luckily I have an unwatched copy of Ong Bak at home ready to be viewed, so I can sample the Bruce Lee-esque stylings of the new king of martial arts.

- Hollywoodland also is out, with a free screening at Universal. Hard to tell if it's more of a biorgaphy of George Reeve or more of a straight-up film-noir, but should be interesting if only to see Ben Affleck playing the guy who played Superman. It's getting some great reviews though, and the price is right.

- So, I will be in CT for a few days from the 20th to the 25th. A lot of that time will be spent with family and doing holiday stuff, but nonetheless - CT people (if there are any of you left) - let me know if you're around.

- This morning as I was getting ready for work a song came onto my MP3 player that both moved an inspred. Yes, I'm talking about one of the holy quartet of TGIF theme songs - the theme to Perfect Strangers, baby (the other three are Step By Step, Full House, and Family Matters). But if you need a pick-me-up to get you through the rest of the day, take a gander at these uplifiting lyrics - words which carried Balki and Cousin Larry through innumerable hilarious adventures:

Sometimes the world looks perfect, Nothing to rearrange.
Sometimes you get a feeling
Like you need some kind of change.
No matter what the odds are this time,
Nothing's going to stand in my way.
This flame in my heart, And a long lost friend
Gives every dark street a light at the end.
Standing tall, on the wings of my dream.
Rise and fall, on the wings of my dream.
The rain and thunder The wind and haze
I'm bound for better days.
It's my life
and my dream,
Nothing's going to stop me now.

Man, I think I just shed a tear as I copied and pasted. Words to live by though, words to live by.

On that note, I am out. Take it easy everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Hype created the running while listening to an Ipod.