Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Feel Summer Creepin' In ...

And the week of craziness has begun.

Tuesday night my parents arrived in LA, though much later than expected, as they were victims of the shitdown of the electrical systems that control the LA-area airport's radar. So after a long stopover in Salt Lake City, mom and dad didn't arrive at LAX until close to 1 am PT. Anyways, yesterday was fun, as, after the obligatory apartment / car inspection (I'm telling you, I scrubbed and cleaned my apt so well that even my dad couldn't muster up much criticism), I headed out to lunch with the parents, then met up with my brother at Universal Studios where we hit up The Mummy, Shrek 4-D, Jurassic Park, etc. Good times, followed by the first all-Baram family dinner in many months. Of course it wouldn't be a Baram family outing if it wasn't capped by getting momentarily lost and arguing about directions ... but man, I was wiped out for today - I got home last night from dinner and could barely move. But fun fun fun - yesterday was only DAY ONE of the week-long adventures in family-sitting that only got kickstarted yesterday, even though it feels like my parents have already been here for a week or something. What is on tap for the rest of the week / weekend? Honestly, I have no idea - always an adventure.

Of course, my brother Matt is, as of tonight, on a bus out of LA to the great wide American south, as he makes the second leg of his USY on Wheels bus trip. So it's just me and the parents from today until Monday -- yikes!

TV REVIEWS:

EUREKA - Was looking forward to this new SciFi show, which had a two hour premiere on Tuesday - as I mentioned in my last post, the concept, about a secluded town of geniuses where all kinds of crazy stuff goes on, was really appealling to me. But man, the execution was just pretty boring and run of the mill. The pilot seemed to drag on forever, and nothing really interesting happened. The actors were mostly bland, and the pace was completely plodding. I was expecting the show to weave an interesting backstory around its premise, but instead the focus rested on the soap opera dynamics of the town's characters, most of whom were as stock and uninteresting as you can get (the tough female cop, the seductress, the know it all scientist, the rebellious teenage daughter, etc.). This show got a huge rating for SciFi with its pilot, but I predict a steep dropoff when people see no real compelling reason to stick around for more.

My Grade: C

- Oh man, check out Rainn Wilson on Leno tonight, sporting full Miami Vice-inspired white suit with pink shirt. Hilarious. Plus, Tom Petty is on. Yeaaaah, boyeee.

And I'm out - my exhaustion today has left me creatively bereft. Sorry, I'll have a better blog entry later, I guarantee.

PEACE.

No comments: