Saturday, February 18, 2006

From the Archives of Danny Baram: MAX V - Chapter 1

FROM THE ARCHIVES, A LONG-LOST ADVENTURE EPIC PENNED BY ME, DURING A PROLIFIC PERIOD IN HIGH SCHOOL ...

WRITTEN DURING MY JUNIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL:


Max V.
Chapter 1: The Ways of the Tao


I still remember the day he came to me. As my campfire burned in the night sky, the shadowy figure approached me, on the verge of collapse. He was only a boy, but his eyes revealed a wisdom of one much farther along in years. High in the foothills of the Tanggula Shan mountains near the Chinese-Tibetan border he found me. meditating quietly in the cavernous alcove I called my home. I was confused. A white man in the Tanggula Shan, where only those who braved a treacherous climb up the sheer mountainside dared travel? And this one, so young. But he was tough, I could read it in his face. I knew then that my life would be forever changed, even as the boy fell suddenly to his knees, no longer able to bear the weight of his own body. I took him then into my home, nursed him to health. I fed him what little food I had, each day noticing a bit more color returning to his pale cheeks. He was a strong one, this boy. His spirit was powerful, compelling me to pray for him each morning and night. Finally, one week after he had suddenly arrived, he just as suddenly awoke from his sickly state, bolted upright from his resting place and spoke as if possessed by a demon.
“Where am I, stranger? I demand to know this instant! I … I …arrrgh …”
He had overexerted himself, I knew, as he clutched his stomach in pain. I also knew that a fire raged within this boy the likes of which I had rarely seen.
“I am Lao Tzin,” I said, “One week ago you collapsed in front of my home. I took you in, fed you. It is good to see you so active, but I fear you are getting a bit too excited. You must rest.”
He lay back down and was calmed, as his memories flooded his mind.
“You … you are Lao Tzin. I have journeyed … for months to find you. You are the one … who can show me, teach me – the ways of Taoism. You are said to be men of power, magicians, alchemists. Men … who can read the future. I must know these things, and you must teach me.”
I sat bewildered at this boy who had traveled so far … for what? For me? I was once a teacher, I was once one who showed The Way to eager students. But no more. Now I was but an old man living alone in the mountains, resigned to a life of solitude. Who now dared to disturb my peace? I owed nothing to this boy.
“No! I was a teacher once, but no longer. Take your presumptuous misconceptions of my people and go back to where you came.”
I was repulsed at my own behavior. Why had I lashed out in anger at one who only sought my help? Had my isolation made me so hostile to my fellow human beings?
“I am sorry. I did not mean to respond in anger. Your words unintentionally reminded me of … incidents from my past.”
“I know.” he replied in his cool English accent, his words strained because of his aching body. “I know who you are and what you’ve done, and I don’t care. You don’t understand. My name is Maxwell. For the last two years, I have traveled the globe, studying under masters of their respective arts. In Japan, I learned five forms of martial arts; I became proficient in the use of weapons, knowledgeable in the art of stealth. In Germany I mastered the use of firearms. In Egypt I studied the magic of the Pharaohs. I have been to Thailand, to Brazil, to Africa. Now I have come to you, for I have to know something. I have to know my future.”
His future? Such knowledge was dangerous, not suitable for a boy. But I knew, at that moment, that this boy had a very special future indeed. Perhaps … perhaps it was my destiny to be a part of it.
“ I will help you as best I can.” I said softly, knowing full well what untold danger I had thrust myself into. “But you will have to work hard. I know many things, but I am no miracle-worker. You have come a long way, my boy, and I would be cruel to turn you away after having journeyed so far. I see promise in your eyes, a strength of spirit.”
I paced slowly to my bedside to retrieve my cloak, silently praying to the gods to give me strength. As I slipped on the emerald kimono, I felt suddenly a new weight to my life, a burden of responsibility. It felt good.
“Is something wrong, Lao-Tzin?” questioned Maxwell, running a strong hand across his maturing face, through his tousled blonde hair.
“No, Maxwell. It is just, that after so many years, it is good to be a teacher again.”

* * *

And so, over the course of five months, young Maxwell and I trained day and night atop the gray peaks of the Tanggula Shan. Some days, we practiced balance and reflexes, as a reluctant Max braved to traverse the rocky cliffs with only a wire beneath his feet, and only a tree branch for balance. We sparred often, and it was during these sessions that I saw the rage within the boy. He was strong, but also quick, a lethal combination. It wasn’t long before he defeated me regularly in combat. At the same time, though, he was lacking. He looked for something that wasn’t there to be found.
“You have taught me much, Master,” he said one day in frustration, “and my debt to you can never be repaid in full. But what of the Tao? I can learn to fight elsewhere. That is not why I risked my life to scale these mountains.”
This point had never before occurred to me. How blind I had been to the confused state of mind of the boy. He had not yet learned the most important lesson.
“Maxwell, the Tao that can be taught is not the true Tao. You must empty your mind of the rage, focus. Then, you will have already learned all you need to know.”
Maxwell stared at me, at first puzzled, and then overcome with anger. He stormed off, and I pursued, but quickly lost sight of him as he ran off into the dense forest. It was then that I was reminded of myself as a younger man. Now I was calmer, less prone to making such rash decisions, in control of my emotions.
It wasn’t until three days later that young Maxwell returned to my home. However, this time he did not collapse at my door. He stood tall, appearing older, stronger, meaner, than when I had last seen him. He strode determinedly into my home, as I cautiously followed, and sat down on an old, carved chair.
“I feel that it is time for me to leave here.” he said. “In America, I have some people who have been working with the military there. By now, they should have worked a deal. But I have to be there to oversee everything. It is my company, V-Corp., and I don’t trust anyone but myself to run its day to day operation. I have to go there.”
I was flabbergasted. This boy, the head of a corporation? I should have guessed as much. I began to speak but Maxwell continued intently.
“There is much you don’t know about me, Lao-Tzin. Yes, I run V-Corp., but that is only a front for my true mission. Years ago, my father, a British diplomat, disappeared. II vowed then to find him one day, but the journey hasn’t been an easy one. I have been traveling the world since, trying to perfect my mind and body. You know it as well as I, Master; I have a purpose in life that is still unknown to me, but it is there. Thanks to you and others, I’ll be ready to face it when that day comes. You have helped me, more than you know, Lao-Tzin. That is why I will make you an offer. Come with me to America, where you can live in a manner befitting one such as you. No more living in a cave among dirt and rocks” He paused and grinned momentarily. “Besides, I could use a teacher."
Even though my instincts told me otherwise, I already knew what my choice would be. I did not want to go to America. I did not want to leave my peaceful life here. I did not wish to leave my home of twenty years. I went with Maxwell that day not because I wanted to, but because I feared what might happen if I did not.
TO BE CONTINUED ....

No comments: