Wednesday, November 02, 2005

It's Hasslehoff's World, We Just Live In It

So we've had some interesting people coming in lately to give pitches over in the development office. David Arquette and Courtney Cox, Al Sharpton, Stephen Baldwin, Jon Lovitz ... but today an unmistakable international icon of schlock graced us with his presence ... yes - the man, the myth, the Knight Rider himself -- David Hasslehoff! Definitely one of the most amusing things I've seen in a while. The guy just has an aura of eccentricity that makes you understand immediately why those wacky Germans love him so darn much. And oh yeah, if you're curious, I did in fact exchange "hello's" with the man himself.

Otherwise, things still chugging along at work. The days are long and mostly uneventful, and there's a lot of going out to get people lunch, making endless copies, fridge restocking, and sitting at my computer wondering what exactly I should be doing at any given moment.

Today however I was pulled by the powers that be to work at the Tonight Show, which I'll be doing tommorow as well. But holy lord, worst Tonight Show ever. We had an all-star lineup of Dr. Phil (for the 10-billionth time), Dennis Rodman (terrible interview - Jay thought anyone cared what Rodman thought of Ron Artest's suspension, one year AFTER the infamous brawl?!?!), and Dwight Yoakam, who annoyingly had to perform his song twice due to technical difficulties. And wow, the monologue was one clunker of a joke after another, with multiple slip-ups by Jay, comedic timing that was WAY off, and a disturbing clip of Jay's head superimposed over a male stripper where, well, let's just say that certain areas were NOT blurred out as thoroughly as they should have been, and therefore I now have a nightmarish image of a gyrating Jay burned into my brain. Man, today's show made it clear that Conan cannot get here fast enough. The only thing that could have saved it was a Gilbert Godfried appearance, but alas, no such luck.

OTHER STUFF:

- Well, the NBA season is back. Seems like only yesterday that Reggie Miller retired and the Finals commenced, and San Antonio reigned again as champs. But wow, I'm watching the NBA game on ESPN right now, and Bill Walton is in rare form, spouting Neil Young references, declaring Smoosh Parker the best player on the floor, and comparing the style of play to the ebb and flow of sand dunes in the desert - dammit all. Gotta love the classic Bill Walton rants and raves and exclamations of disbelief, even if he is pretty much a complete moron. Just kidding Bill, you're an original. And speaking of Reggie Miller, nice to see him as part of TNT's Inside the NBA team. Funny how my two all time favorite players, Barkley and Miller, are now doing TV broadcasting together. I guess I've just always like players with TV-ready, outspoken personalities. I read an article on ESPN.com predicting that Miller would attempt to stage a comeback later in the season. If he did, he'd be following in Barkley's footsteps. But hey I wouldn't mind seeing Miller Time one mo' time. Anyways, I'm pretty much an independent observer this year with regards to the NBA. I always have a soft spot for Houston, Phoenix, and Indiana, and I'd love to see the Celtics make some kind of impact, but overall there's no one team who I'm 100% behind. But you can rest assured that my hatred for the Lakers, and my strong dislike for teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Philly, and New Jersey will remain intact for the time being. I guess I don't have the same dedication as my brother, who has remained a diehard Utah Jazz fan long after the retirement of his boyhood idols Stockton and Malone. Don't worry Matt, the Jazz will probably suck once again this year.

TV STUFF:

As much as I can't help but bash NBC despite working there, you gotta like their Tuesday nights with My Name is Earl and The Office, easily the new Must See TV, at least as far as NBC is concerned. Last night's Earl was a decent episode, though the emphasis on little heartwarming tales is a little grating. I wish the show could channel some of the wit of the Cohen Brothers, as it already seems to be channeling their style. Last night's ep was decently funny, my grade is: B. The Office is really hitting its stride lately though. Last night's ep, featuring a fight between Michael and Dwight, was among the best yet. Rain Wilson as Dwight is totally owning this show lately, and the whole cast seems to be improving and bringing their A-games, making the increasingly sharp scripts all the more funny. My grade: A -

FINALLY:

New, work-related pet peeve. Why do people feel the need to make random exclamations, directed at nobody in particular, while sitting at their desks? Like why must people say things like "Oh, what do I want for lunch?" or "What is wrong with the Olsen Twins" while staring at their computer screens and not really addressing anyone? I hate this. Mainly because it replaces any real, direct communication. I wish that instead of these random exclamations basically intended as a means of calling attention to oneself, people would actually just say "Hey Danny, what do you think of ...?". My point is, enough with these desperate, interoffice cries for attention. If your question or statement isn't interesting enough to direct towards any one person, then most likely, it's so random an/or stupid that NO ONE CARES, so just keep your mouth shut. Who's with me?

Rant over. Should really go to sleep early tonight. Week almost over. Lakers suck. Goodnight.

No comments: