Thursday, November 10, 2005

"I Got FREE LOVE on the FREE LOVE FREEWAY ..." - Lost-bashing and lots more

- Okay, this is my first ever post ... from work! So bear with me here.

- I mainly just want to post quickly about last night's LOST. Okay, this show is completely treading water now ...

SPOILERS


... Everyone thought that Shannon would die, and guess what, she did. And was it through some ingenious plot twist, some long-built up to conflict? Nope, it was all a big accident, that will surely lead to weeks' worth of more treading water as the survivors on the island brood, mope, and engage in pointless philisophical debates. Basically, this episode was 55 minutes of people standing around and talking. The last 5 minutes, suddenly the rain is pouring and the mud is everywhere and everything is all ominous like something major's about to go down. We see ghost-Walt for a few seconds, for no apparent reason, and then the tail-end survivors mistake the pursuing Shannon for one of The Others (who are apparently everywhere even though we've never really seen them ...), and boom, a gun goes off and Sahnnon's a goner. Wow, how lame. At least they made the right choice in terms of which character to kill, as Shannon was pretty annoying and kinda useless without her brother Boone to play off of. Now Maggie Grace can go off and try to make a movie career, which is already off to a wonderful start with The Fog remake. Honestly, where is the human drama here? We get subplots that go on for years without even being addressed, zero plot development, and no action with any kind of dramtic weight behind it. But the problem is that the writers have crafted a situation where the audience demands answers due to the way the plot's been set up. In the early years of The X-Files, there was kind of a murky atmosphere where things were kept mysterious, but it was okay because there was more a general feeling of "hmm, I wonder what's going on here ...?", rather than on Lost where the writers pose questions A, B, C, D, E, and on to Z , yet leave each and every one of them hanging. Hence the treading water. So yeah, everyone wants to know who dies, because at least its SOMETHING that we know FOR SURE. At least to this point on Lost, dead is dead. But take away the obligatory "shocking" moment, and what is left? A bunch of nonsensical, vague talk about missing kids, The Others, and, um ... well, nothing, pretty much.
My grade for the ridiculously ratings-grabbing very special episode of Lost: C

- Oh yeah, I actually watched the 34th season premiere of That 70's Show, and they are still working the same formula that they always have. Kelso acting stupid, Fez with his quirky one-liners, Red threatening to kick someone's ass. Only know they are without the show's MAIN CHARACTER, Eric Forman, yet the whole gang still inexplicably hangs out in his basement. Hey, I still laugh at the show, but it probab;y should have retired along with Topher Grace. This is probably one of the most formulaic comedies on the air, but it's still good for a laugh or two, if you're like me and have always found Fez's jokes about girls and candy kinda funny. My grade: B

- Oh man, I totally forgot that the great Christopher Lloyd is on STACKED, of all things. Kinda sad.

- I watched last Thursday's Reunion and man that show is getting kinda good. I am psyched for tonight's ep to see who dies and who killed them. Now with all the melodrama that's led up to this point, this is gonna be a death with some meaning behind it.

- Still haven't caught this week's Prisonbreak or Veronica Mars yet, though I have them on tape.

WORK:

Still plugging away, still not adjusted to these long-ass days, so yeah I am still pretty much drop-dead tired all the time these days. I do now have access to IM at work, so you may occasionally find me online during the day now. I have seen some VERY interesting scripts over here lately, including one cult-fave comic book adaptation that I SO want to reveal, but won't for fear of getting fired. Suffice to say if this news was on like Ain't It Cool News or some such site, fanboys across the world would be drooling and feeling vertigo (hint, hint) over the prospect of this show making it to TV. And lo and behold, the pilot ep is GREAT and actually extremely faithful to the source material, which means yeah, it prob will never see the light of day. But if it does, watch out. And don't worry, despite the fact that I have NO influence at this point, I'll try to be an advocate for this in any way that I can.

Speaking of nerdy stuff:

- Infinite Crisis 2: Dammmn, great comic, tons of pieces being moved into place, and we are on our way to a conflict of truly epic proprtions. Awe-inspiring art from Phil Jiminez, and an ultra-tight, meticulously plotted script from DC's master and commander, Geoff Johns --- plus a sweeet sequence done by original Crisis artist and detail guru George Perez, who also pencilled an iconic cover. Awesome stuff, and I think it's on;y gonna get better as the intensity gets ratcheted up. My grade: A

RANDOM STUFF:

I mentioned how John Cougar Mellencamp's "I Need A Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)" is a newly-discovered classic 70's cheese-fest of classic rock awesomeness. So here are some other classics of pre-Hair Metal hokiness that take themselves very seriously but have some great if slightly questionable lyrics:

- Foreigner: "Hot Blooded"

- Bad Company "Feel Like Makin' Love"

- Electric Light Orchestra "Do Ya Want My Love?"

- Rush "The Trees"

- Jefferson Starship "We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)

- Alice Cooper "I'm Eighteen"

Alright, back to work. Experiment successful? You be the judge ...

PEACE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because Danny gave a shout-out to my favorite song, here is the chorus for us all to enjoy...

Free love on the free love freeway,
The love is free and the freeway's long
I got some, hot love on the hot love highway
Ain't goin' home cause my baby's gone

Now THAT's good song writin'!