Friday, June 11, 2010

A New York State of Mind ...

Hanging out in CT after a fun couple of days here on the east coast. Most notably, I spent a couple of days on an NYC adventure that took me from Times Square to the upper east side to 30 Rock to the Village and back again. I hopped on a bus to the city with only a vague plan of action, but luckily, things mostly worked out and I got to spend some quality time with a couple of old friends. Of course, on Wednesday, when I got to NY, it was pouring rain. This made things a little nuttier (and colder, and wetter) than I would have liked. But, it was worth it to brave the elements in order to spend some quality time catching up with Daniella G. and Liz L. It was a really fun time - from dining with aliens at Mars 2112 to being served high-quality vegan cuisine at Caravan of Dreams (by the best waitress ever, no less). I of course got in a slice or two of genuine NYC pizza, had a bagel amongst the yarmulke-wearing jews at a local upper-east-side establishment, accidentally offended a highly-sensitive Greenpeace girl, and yes, made my customary stop at Midtown Comics in order to pick up some new reading material. Even though I was only in NY for a short time, I felt like I packed in a lot and, most importantly, got to spend time with some of my most favorite people. Not to sound cheesy or anything ... but, well, probably too late. In any case, being in New York definitely made me draw mental comparisons with life in LA. On one hand, you can't beat the energy of NYC. There's a freedom and a rush to NYC life that can't be replicated in LA. I love the diversity of people. I love that people in NYC tend to be smart and witty and opinionated. I like the fast pace. I like that people hurry up when they're in line and walk fast on the street. At the same time, I've grown to appreciate the LA way of life, at least to some extent. Everything in LA feels more open, less constrictive. There's more space. Overall, places tend to be cleaner, more colorful. In it's own weird way, LA feels more "normal" whereas NYC still feels daunting to some extent. I like both places in their own way - and I love other cities I've lived in like Boston and London as well - but, NYC definitely has a special quality to it that nowhere else on the planet can quite replicate.

Thursday afternoon, I got on a bus at Port Authority and a few hours later, I was back in CT - exhausted but satisfied. I did get home in time to watch the CELTICS game though, and man, Game 4 was a blockbuster. Congrats to the Celts on a huge win, tying up their series with the Lakers 2-2.

I also finally caught the season finale of JUSTIFIED. It's pretty amazing - the show has evolved into an instant classic in a very short time. The finale was quite simply badass - chock full of great characters, intense action, and some very interesting plot twists. This one will be right up there near the top when I compile my year-end best-of list.

I also saw GET HIM TO THE GREEK last weekend, which I believe I mentioned in my last post. I'll hold off on reviewing for now, suffice it to say it's decently funny but not quite on the level of Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Okay ... tomorrow is my ten year high school reunion. Better rest up! I'll be back with more soon, but for now, signing off from BLOOMFIELD, CT.

No comments: