Friday, March 27, 2009

Reading This Blog Will Be Like Watching An In-Flight Movie: OFFICE, 30 ROCK, More!

Ah, the weekend is so close you can taste it. I'm already looking forward to that inevitable moment tomorrow morning where I half-wake up and then blissfully realize I can drift back off into slumberland for approximately 5 more hours. Man, that is going to be sweet.


- So I have to talk about last night's episode of THE OFFICE. I really loved it - the ep reminded me a lot of some of the classic British version of the show, in that, in addition to being very funny, it really reminded me how much we've invested in these characters. Last night's surprise ending was plain and simply a great moment for Pam and a great moment for the show. And within the slightly-warped universe of The Office, it made sense -- Michael may have been an incompetent nutjob, but he sure did make things entertaining for Pam, Jim, et al. It made sense that Pam would have a kind of out-of-body experience and follow Michael. Again, it reminded me of that final episode of the British Office where everyone kind of has this unexpected sense of kinship with Ricky Gervais after all they've been through together. It seems appropriate that Pam would feel similarly towards Michael. But yeah, her leaving Dunder-Mifflin was a genuine smile-worthy moment. Good stuff. Plus, like I said, the episode was just funny. I loved Toby's comparison of Michael to an in-flight movie - awesome. I loved the new boss' off-the-cuff admission that he is quite aware of the effect he has on the ladies. Dwight even got in a great line about head-hunting, which elicited an equally great reply from Jim. Overall, a near-classic episode of The Office.

My Grade: A


- As for 30 ROCK, this was yet another Season 3 episode that, well, I wanted to love due to its abundance of great / hilarious lines, and yet the actual plotlines were not particularly strong. Don't get me wrong, Alec Baldwin's to-do-before-50 list, Tracy Morgan's fun-with-wordplay, and the Adam West cameo alone were more than enough to make this a hilariously entertaining episode of television. I just felt that the main Liz-Jenna subplot was slightly weak, and the Tracy and Jack subplots were not really all that great either. But the funny was brought in spite of some of the ep's underlying issues, and in the end, I still laughed my ass off.

My Grade: B+


OTHER STUFF:

- I am planning to see MONSTERS VS. ALIENS in 3D tonight. I am somewhat skeptical , but, come on, how can I possibly *not* see a movie with that title?

- Still have to watch last night's SMALLVILLE. I am unusually excited to watch though, as it features the first-ever live action portrayal of Zatanna, everyone's favorite fishnet-sportin', backwards-talkin' magician from the pages of DC Comics. From the previews, it looks like to its credit, Smallville got the look of Z totally down, so hopefully the episode delivers!

- I have also watched about half of Monday's CHUCK. So far so good ... I really hope this show survives for a third season - if you're not watching, all I can say is "why not?" Chuck has its ups and downs, but it remains one of the most fun and unique shows on-air.

- And finally, after a big week for the Barams, I am outta here. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hunt the world's most dangerous game ... man ... atees. Manatees.

No comments: