Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday fallout! Prison Break! And MORE!

What a night in politics last night. It makes me realize how much I can't stand it that some people are still apathetic at this point. I mean, are you insane? The future of our country is at stake here. Secondly, I can't stand people who are STILL simply justifying their apathy by dismissing ALL of the major candidates. Yes, they all have flaws, but guess what - one will be running the show for at least the next four years - it's up to us, up to you, to judge which you think is the best for the job.

Luckily, it seems that most people are with me on this one. Certainly, this is one of the most dramatic and closely-contended primaries ever, and I think most people are engaged. I know I couldn't turn away from MSNBC last night as the Super Tuesday results came in. And I also know that rarely have I felt as excited or as energized politically as I did yesterday, when I cast a vote for Obama. I voted, hopped in the car, blasted some patriotic tunes, and smiled as I realized that the times they are a'changin'.

Now the results of Super Tuesday are pretty interesting. It still seems to be a dead heat between Hillary and Obama, and it's possible to spin the results either way to paint a picture that looks favorable to one or the other. Interesting that my home state of CT went with Obama, while MA went pretty heavily for Hillary - it's amazing to me that MA's large concentration of young voters and college students rarely seem to hold much influence in the elections. I mean - come on! On the Republican side, what's happeneing is totally fascinating. McCain emerged as the clear GOP frontrunner, and yet, he won mostly Blue States - not a good sign for his general election prospects. Meanwhile, Huckabee lives, and helped to make it a very disappointing night for Mitt Romney. I feel like Romney appealed to the hardcore, wealthy-business types who see him as the guy who will help further fatten their wallets. But beyond that niche - who really is Romney's audience? The Bible Belt evangelicals seem to have rallied around Huckabee, while McCain clearly has the moderate vote, as well as the segment of neocon / foreign policy hawks who Guliani had hoped to appeal to. Good riddance to Mr. Romney I say. Personally, I welcome the eventual general election debates. Especially if Obama is the democratic candidate, as he'll be able to really go after the GOP for the war in Iraq, the environment, and the economy with a fresh perspective that Hillary will have a hard time bringing to the table.

I'll be anxiously awaiting for the rest of this complex drama to play out - the super-delegates, the remaining battleground states, the debates, etc - and I'll be pulling for Obama. I think he just may be able to come out of this one on top.

- A lot going on this week in the NBA. Shaq to the SUNS?!?! That to me is such a strange move for Phoenix to make. If this was the Shaq of ten or even five years ago, I could see it working. A Shaq gunning up and down the floor, jamming in alley-oops from Steve Nash, could have made the Suns an instant title favorite. But as an aging center, Shaq has played now, for a long time, in very methodical offenses - from the Lakers' triangle offense to the Heat's slow but steady system. It's hard to imagine how Shaq will adapt to a run n' gun offense, or how the Suns will adapt to him. It sure will be interesting to watch. I guess as a Suns fan though, it's a bit sad to see them sacrifice the look and feel that has made them the NBA's most fun team to watch over the last several years. As for the Heat - they're getting a great player in "The Matrix," though he's totally unproven as a team leader, or as a superstar away from Steve Nash. For Heat fans, they need to hope they aren't filling up their team with Scottie Pippens, if you know what I mean.

- Finally, just want to mention how badass PRISON BREAK was on Monday. So many great, over-the-top lines, tons of intensity, and a few interesting twists to boot. How great of an uber-villain is Gretchen? Lookswise, I feel like she'd make a perfect Wonder Woman (WB, are you listening?), but man, she is just so evil here it's almost hard to imagine her as a good guy. But Prison Break has no shortage of great, villainous characters. T-Bag was in top form this week, messing with Lechero's head, and getting into an ultra-intense confrontation with Mahone, as played by the consistently awesome William Fichtner. I can't wait to see the next episode and see how the long-awaited escape goes down. To sum up how pumped the pulpy adventure stylings of this episode got me, midway through I felt a dire compulsion to call up my brother (a fellow PB fan), and, in my best Michael Scofield voice, greet him by saying: "How much do you know ... about electricity?" 'Nuff said.

My Grade: A

- As for TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, well, the show continues to be a bit uneven. Last week I was singing its praises and hopeful that it was really finding its legs. This week, my enthusiasm dipped a bit as the show veered into hokey action territory, focused on the FBI's somewhat cheesy investigation into the whole Terminator mystery, as well as John Connor being trapped in a wherehouse with a dormant Terminator 'bot. While John's escape attempts capped off the episode with a few intense scenes, most of the hour was a total bore, from Sarah's pointless narration to a plot that is already hard to follow and getting nigh-incomprehensible. More focus on Summer Glau's riot grrl Terminator, please - I know the show probably doesn't want to jump the gun in terms of advancing her character, but it'd be a shame not to explore the ramifications of a robotic killing machine who looks like a walking anime character. Similarly, I just need more to sink my teeth into in terms of the ongoing plotlines - perhaps a recurring villain more interesting than the resident uber-Terminator who is stalking our heroes? Right now there are fun moments, but the sow is just too easy to tune out at the moment.

My Grade: B -

- Alright, I'm out for now. Later.

No comments: