Friday, February 09, 2007

To Quote The Princess Bride ...

... MAWWIGE!

- Oh man, last night's OFFICE had me rolling in laughter. While Michael Scott acted like an idiot to the point of it almost being uncomfortable, I welcomed the return to old-school, totally inappropriate Steve Carell rather than awww let's feel bad for him Steve Carell. And man, this was the funniest Michael Scott has been in a while, since of late he's been playing the straightman to Ed Helms and Rann Wilson more often then not. But this episode just had plenty of funny - from the cold open with Jim training Dwight like a circus seal to Kevin's Police cover band - good stuff all around. I agree with some others that at times Michael was a little TOO over the top, but more often than not his ridiculousness made for some good laughs.

My Grade: A -

- Also, 30 ROCK had some great laughs last night, especially from everybody's favorite NBC Page, Kenneth, whose face-licking attempt at making out with hot intern Cerie (sp?) was one of the flat-out funniest things I've seen in a while. Tracy Morgan as always was hilarious, and the characters are getting more and more interesting.

My Grade: A -

- MY NAME IS EARL also had a above-average episode, with some great comedy from Joy and Randy's attempts to become gimmicked professional wrestlers. One line had me cracking up - Randy's answer when Joy asked him if he knew where babies come from. Oh man, I can't believe he said that or that that got by the FCC. If only everything on Earl was that funny.

My Grade: B+

- Have not yet seen Smallville's latest Lana angst-fest, nor have I seen The OC's third-to-last HUGE EARTHQUAKE episode. Morbidly curious for both.

- Did see most of last night's SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM. Like last week, some mildly funny stuff, though I still find myself more attracted to Silverman's offbeat sensibilities than to anything on the actual show, as there really wasn't much that made me laugh, even if I was at least somewhat entertained for the duration. I like SIlverman in general, I like the other actors / comedians on the show, but so far it just isn't coming together like it should be. I will say, this show has some great production for a cable comedy show.

My Grade: B -

OTHER STUFF:

- Man, this Anna Nicole Smith stuff is CRAZY. I'm not normally hugely into celebrity gossip, but this is turning into a full-scale mystery. Not only are there multiple potential causes for her death (suicide? drug OD? murder?) but all the while there is the looming paternity question concerning who exactly fathered her newborn daughter, who is now without brother and mother in the span of mere months. Howard K Stern and that other guy both claim to be the father, and now Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband throws his hat in the ring? Just absurd! Not to mention ... the HUGE inheritance money that SOMEONE stands to gain from Anna Nicole's controversial, presumably gold-digging marriage. When all is said and done, this stands to be one of the most lurid, complex, and fascinating Hollywood scandals ever. But it also is kind of a tragedy, and RIP to Anna Nicole, who despite everything was endlessly entertaining and always fun.

- For something funny, you guys have got to check out my friend Sean's video on YouTube. It's him auditioning to be an NFL punter, and it will simultaneously cause you to crack up and want to sign him up for the Pats. The link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_a7B2QO1U

- Another bit of hilarity: As if I wasn't already pumped for 300, the stylized actioner that adapts Frank Miller's graphic novel, check out THIS review, which may add a few new phrases to your everyday vernacular:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31520

- Today marks my LAST EVER DAY as a non-staffed YOH employee at NBC! As of Monday I will be fully-staffed, health-insured, drug-tested, background-checked, and fully owned and operated by GE, baby! Yep, I'm kind of a big deal now ... Please have all congratulatory checks made out to Daniel Baram.

- And I'm just about ready to call it a work-week.

First though, I'd like to mention Mr. Edward Bromberg, who passed away this week. Mr. Bromberg was a long-time staple of our Jewish community in Connecticut, who was a tenured and respected cantor at Beth Hillel Synagogue to which my family belongs. Mr. Bromberg was a smart, kind person who dedicated himself to his community, and for my brother and I he was a valued teacher who helped us, along with hundreds of other kids, prepare for our Bar Mitzvahs. When I was twelve going-on-thirteen, I made many trips to Mr. Bromberg's house to practice my Torah and Haftorah portions again and again, and if not for all those practice sessions I would never have been as prepared as I was for the big day. For many of us Beth Hillel kids, as we grew older, Mr. Bromberg was one of those ever-respected teachers who we made sure to say hello to and try to impress with our latest accomplishments through high school and college. With his dry humor, gentle manner, and reassuring presence, it is only fitting that such an influential man be honored and remembered.

- Have a good weekend, I'm out.

No comments: