Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Welcome to the Jungle ...

Longest two days ever.

Literally.

The last two days have been 11 hour workdays at NBC, and there's no sign of things slowing down. Even better, since I have nobody to train me I am basically left to fend for myself, learning as I go, making each hour a struggle to keep a smile on my face and not screw up too badly. I mean, I am grateful for this opportunity. I am around tons of scripts for new and still-in-development shows. I am around many of the top creative execs at NBC. But dayum, the days are long and the stress level is high, at least so far. I've already had to drive out under a time crunch and pick up lunch for the whole office (sans myself), and today I had to lug the heaviest box packed with legal documents ever all the way across the NBC lot. And each new thing I am told to do, from fed-exing to filing to covering phones, I am mostly left to figure out for myself, trying to polease people who need things done in a hurry and with little room for trial and error. So yeah, while I am grateful for this opportunity, I don't know if I forsee myself persuing the assistant route long-term. Trust me, this is one case where working in showbiz is anything but glamorous. But hopefully I can start to adjust to these long days and get focused. I need to just do the best job I can in this assignment and make the most of the contacts here.

But god, working in this type of office environment is just so ... ugh, it's like I have a newfound need to blast the hardest rock music I can find as soon as I get in the car to go home. I have to be so careful what I'm doing and saying at all times. Most of the time it's just silence in the room, except for the chatter of phone conversations and the hum of new email messages being received. You just want to scream. Probably this is mostly just coming from it all being such a jarring transition from the college-like atmosphere of the regular page program, but wow, this is a BIG adjustment. I guess there's some comfort in the fact that hey, I'm still just a page. I can only be held accountable for so much. And apparently, not keeping enough of everyone's favorite carbonated beverages stocked at all times carries with it a lot of accountability. Haha, I know, I'm being a little over dramatic. But when you can't be dramatic during the day, I guess it comes out at night, ya know? (Now I know why parents tend to come home grumpy all the time).

Anyways, this is the working world, I guess. Love it, learn it. And remember that this is just one step on the ladder, baby. I've had to work hard to get here and I don't plan on stopping now.

OTHER STUFF:

TV Show Reviews:

PRISON BREAK - Wow, damn good ep this week, lots of action, plenty of twists and turns ("Ms. Vice President ..."). Continues to take it's game to the next level, and the pulpy writing and acting knows just how to build the drama. My grade: A -

GILMORE GIRLS - Back on track after last week, this week's episode was packed with enough emotionally-charged moments that even the hardest of hearts may be tempted to break out the kleenex. The long-term plotting on this show is just so well done - even as the longterm arc continues from week to week, each ep has such great individual little character moments. Like here for example, when Luke gives Rory his birthday present for her - I mean, what a great moment for a great character. Anyoneinterested in well-written and acted TV should take a look at this show - both witty and heartfelt, as exemplified in this week's outstanding episode. My grade: A

OTHER STUFF:

Honestly, I got nothing for ya. My brain is totally fried. So yeah, I'm done. Baram out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

remember the lurline simpsons episode. I believe the song went " You work all day for some old man, you sweat and break your back, you come home to your castle and your queen dont cut ya slack. Thats why you've lost all your hair, thats why you're overweight, that why you flipped your pickup truck right off the interstate". that was good times. you'll have to tell me all about your week and the end of it