Sunday, October 09, 2005

Now You're Playing With Power

Well this was one of those weekends that I'm going to need the week to recover from.

First of all ... KNOTT'S SCARY FARM on Friday. A horrifyingly good time was had by all, but I have to say that by the time I got home, at an hour past 3 am, I was so unbelievably tired. I'm talking cannot even think straight tired. As in, I slept most of the next day tired. I guess that's just the plight of the working man. But anyways, I definitely recommend Knotts in October. The haunted mazes were pretty sweet, and the place was just dripping with Halloween atmosphere. The "Carnival of Carnivorous Clowns From Outer Space in 3-D" was definitely a highlight, like something out of some insane post-Ringling Brothers acid trip. Also gotta love "Lore of the Vampire" (complete with goth nightclub scenes!) and "Red Beard's Revenge," as you simply can't go wrong with undead pirates. Also gotta recognize the awesomeness that was the "Ghostrider" wooden rollrcoaster, which despite a way-too-long line was awesomely intense, old-school style.

So yeah, it was a scary good time, except for one brief incident involving an asshole security guard who almost kicked me out of the park for no reason, because he thought I was cutting in line, when all I did was leave the line for one minute before coming back and joining my friends. As someone who deals with lines of people every day, I could see the absurdity in not letting someone rejoin their party in line (hence the fact that at the Tonight Show we ask people to tell us if people are missing from their party in line so we can account for that), and so I wasn't having any of it. Luckily, this power-mad jerk didn't get his way and I was able to remain in line, but I did have to speak with this guy's superiors, and though they tried to explain that the guy was only doing his job (what? his job was to be a dick and harass people?), they clearly saw that he was overstepping his bounds and allowed me to stay in line. But hey, I came close to getting kicked out of Knott's Berry Farms for no reason whatsoever. Gotta love the the idiots who think it's their perogative to ruin others' good times just so they can feel important. Oh well, that one incident didn't come close to putting a damper on the evening, as despite that and also my extreme fatigue it turned out to be a memorable NBC page excursion.

Saturday I mostly did nothing but I did get out to Barney's Beanery in Hollywood to help celebrate Patrick D's birthday with a variety of recent BU alumni. Once again, good times.

Oh and how about those Red Sox? Dammit, wha' happened? I guess that it's only fitting for a team such as the Sox that winning a World Series turned out to be a one-time-only deal, but they could have at least made a better run for it. And dayum, talk about a long game, how about that Houston-Atlanta game? See, this is why I am not a huge baseball fan. This game was so freakin' long and slow. Sure, it was cool to see Clemens kicking ass out of the bullpen, but baseball really should have some type of sudden death situation to prevent games from lasting this long. I almost wish there was a time limit for pitchers between pitches - do you really need a full minute or two between every pitch? While there's nothing like being at a baseball game live and in person, some of these games are just painful to watch on TV, at least to me.

With baseball winding down though I am starting to look forward to the NBA's return, and I hope that this season will be a real changing of the guard, with teams like Pheonix and Cleveland and Orlando finally stepping up to the top of the league. But of course, the old stalwarts like San Antonio will likely once again be the favorites. As long as the Lakers continue to suck, all will be right with the world. Sad though how all my old favorite players are now retired and the Shaqs, Duncans, Iversons, and Garnetts are suddenly left as the elder statesmen of the league.

TV STUFF:

SNL: taped sat.'s ep and watched it ... sorry but it still beings the suck. Some of the new ppl seem to have some talent and potential, which is good. But the writing is still piss poor and the sketches still go on for way too long despite not being funny. My grade: C -

Veronica Mars: Wow, saw the 2nd ep of the season on Saturday and it really started to suck me into the new mystery. Cool, if not totally unexpected ending, and they are really building towards something big. My grade: A -

AT WORK:

Friday's tonight show saw Rene Russo, Dominic Monahgan of Lost, and Wynonna Judd. Who knew that Wynonna kind of rocks? Not me, but I'll fess up to it, the woman is large, in charge, and can kick some ass when called upon.

This week on the Tonight Show: THE ROCK, KRISTEN BELL, THE KILLERS, and WEEZER! Hot damn, business is picking up.

But what about those ASSIGNMENTS?!?! Still no word, hopefully something soon, hopefully something good.

OTHER STUFF:

- Nerds unite! Wednesday is the big day, when finally, the INFINITE CRISIS is upon us!

- Thursday: The Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur. Definitely gonna be some hardcore praying going on.

- Next weekend: The first ever All-Star All-Page All-Skillz Basketball game?!?!

Tune IN NEXT TIME. SAME BAT TIME. SAME BAT CHANNEL.

No comments: