Thursday, February 03, 2005

Miller Time

"There's no doubt about it, show business lures the people who didn't get enough love, attention, or approval early in life and have grown up to become bottomless, gaping vessels of terrifying, abject need. Please laugh." -- Dennis Miller

So working the Dennis Miller Show was a nice change of pace from Leno's ba-dum-ching, cringe-inducing monlogues. Now I could cringe at Miller's right-wing views on foreign policy and Iraq. But still, I am a fan of Miller and his mind-bending metaphors, and I was cracking up throughout a majority of his show. The cringe-worthy part was during the political, Varsity Club segment where Miller tastelessly defended the American soldier who said he enjoyed killing Iraqis. It was bad enough to hear Miller express his approval, but to hear so many in the audience cheering this was kind of sickening. Still, you gotta appreciate Miller's style of humor that really tests the limits of one's pop-cultural baggage. Bonus: The featured guest was Leah Reami (not sure 'bout the spelling on that one ...), she of King of Queens and Saved by the Bell fame. What's with all these SBTB sightings lately? Bonus II: 'the other guests were the finalists from NBC's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit contest. Haha as Dennis miller commented, it must be getting close to Sweeps time. Overall it was a pretty low-pressure gig, plus I got free cookies from the backstage area.

The other highlight of my day was definitely this: someone sent me a letter at NBC! Yep, when I got to work today it was already posted on the bulletin board - some woman who was on my first tour on Thursday sent me a card saying how much she enjoyed the tour. She aid she felt bad because she thought she may have come off as rude later in the day when I helped seat her for the Tonight Show, as she was complaing about the seat she got. I couldn't even really remember or picture who exactly this woman was, but still I really got a kick out of getting a letter of my own at NBC, and for my first tour no less! She ended by wishing me luck and saying she hoped to come back to Burbank soon. So that was the talk of the pages this morning. See, niceness is sometimes acknowledged and appreciated.

Oh, so I looked at my schedule for next week, and I'm subbing as Tonight Show "CB" next Wed., the day Avril is coming on ... I'm not sure what exactly CB does, but it definitely has got to increase my chances of a Lavigne sighting.

Still trying to figure out the apartment thing. And still waiting to get my car back. Go PATRIOTS!

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

The O.C. - Almost kind of redundant to comment on this show now, it's starting to fall into a comfortably predictable groove. It's at a point where every major storyline is pretty clearly going in a particular direction, and we the audience are just asked to sit back and enjoy the ride. We know Kirsten and Sandy are headed for troubled waters, Seth and Summer are gonna have some sparks a-flyin', and of course Alex and Marissa are on the road to some sapphic satisfaction (never thought I'd write THAT phrase). I'm still pretty darned entertained by this show though. My grade: B+

- Man, I can't even stay up late enought to watch Conan anymore. But if any former Conan interns are reading this, I have been making sure to give plenty of shout-outs to the future Tonight Show host on all of my studio tours.

- WHY am I still getting mass emails from John Kerry? Dude, you lost the election and I don't want to hear your complaints about Bush anymore. Go away and make way for a democrat who can actually WIN AN ELECTION. Harsh, I know, but Kerry fared worse than Gore, and Gore had the decency to disappear for a while after his particular fiasco.

- So while working in the ticket office today we had a good old fashioned jumping contest. Compared to some girls at nbc, I can actually jump pretty far.

- Oh, Kenny "The Jet" Smith ... you may be the most inarticulate personality in all of TV. But I still love Inside the NBA on TNT, by far the best sports-related talk show there is.

- Wow, the Atlantic division in the NBA is AWFUL. the lowly BOSTON CELTICS are, by some perverse logic, are NUMBER ONE in their division, despite being more than a few games UNDER .500. With Indiana, Detroit, and New Jersey all playing fairly poorly, and only Miami doing anything of note, the East this year is just pathetic. Maybe another division realignment is in order?

And that's it for now. Okay all my bruthas from otha muthas, keep it real - respeck.
- Gosh! This UPS stuff is taking forever! I want a new, functioning PS2 and I want it NOW.

-









No comments: